Your New Go-To Snack: Sweet Potato Energy Balls (Grain-Free/Paleo/Vegan)
These “Sweet Potato Energy Balls” are perfect as a pre- or post- workout snack to give you the energy needed to either rock your workout in the first place or the extra fuel to recover after you’ve already rocked it! And the best part about them is that they are made with clean, real-food ingredients. Full of a healthy dose of fat, fiber, carbohydrate, and protein.
You’ll get some good carbohydrate to burn through during your workout, or re-fuel with after your workout from the dates and sweet potatoes; some slow-burning, blood-sugar stabilizing fat from the almonds and cashews; and a bit of protein from the hemp hearts!
Since we are in the midst of the CrossFit Open Season, it’d be a great idea to make a batch of these and have them in your freezer. Just put a couple in a baggie to throw into your gym bag so you have an extra little boost of energy to not only get through but also recover well from the intensified workouts coming up over the next month.
If you’re not participating in the Open, do not fear, these “energy balls” are a great all around pre- or post-workout fueling option for when you need a little boost of energy to get yourself fired up for a workout after your work day, and especially on busy days when you do not have time to eat a re-fuel meal soon after your workout.
12 large medjool dates
1 cup diced white sweet potato; pre-cooked & peeled
1 1/2 cups raw almonds
1 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup hemp hearts
½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
~ 1 cup shredded coconut for rolling (will probably have extra leftover)
sea salt (for sprinkling on top)
Two large bowls
Plate or dish
1. Add medjool dates + diced sweet potato to the food processor; pulse & process until mixed together
2. Remove the date/sweet potato mixed from processor, set aside in bowl #1
3. Add almonds + cashews to the food processor; pulse until broken down into small pieces (be careful not to overly pulse into a paste)
4. Add the date/sweet potato mixture back to food processor along with the hemp hearts, sea salt, and cinnamon. Mix everything together gently with a spoon & then pulse/process in the food processor until all mixed together
5. Dump entire mixture out into bowl #1, mix together a bit more if needed
6. Add shredded coconut to bowl #2
7. Use hands to make balls out of the sweet potato/date/nut mixture (each about 1-1.5 inches wide)
8. Roll each ball into the coconut until covered, then place on a separate plate or dish
9. When finished, sprinkle entire plate of balls with sea salt
10. Put in fridge or freezer to harden. Store covered in fridge or freezer (for longer-term storage) Eat cold or at room temperature before or after your workout!